Built in 1874 as a carriage house for the A.D. White House (a National Historic Landmark housing Cornell’s Society for the Humanities), the Big Red Barn is now the home of the graduate and professional student center.
CVM designed a comprehensive building envelope restoration and structural reinforcing program that was performed during a compressed summer schedule. The program included reconstruction of certain existing walls and roof areas to make them both structurally sound and energy efficient. These interventions were designed to have a low impact on the existing interior finishes of this historic building.
Location: Ithaca, NY