With construction beginning in 1815, Baltimore’s Washington Monument was the first significant national memorial built to honor George Washington. Closed in 2010 due to safety concerns, the Mount Vernon Place Conservancy was established to restore and provide stewardship for the monument and Mount Vernon Square—the four-acre public park in which it sits.
As part of this broad initiative, CVM’s professionals were engaged to lead a multi-disciplined team to investigate the monument’s condition and develop a comprehensive plan for restoration, preservation and improvements.
CVM was also responsible for navigating the complex regulations of working in this listed historic district. The project was completed in time for the public celebration of the monument’s bicentennial, and was subsequently honored by AIABaltimore, Baltimore Heritage and Maryland Historical Trust.