Constructed between 1904 and 1907, Thomas Library is a National Historic Landmark and one of the most recognizable buildings on Bryn Mawr’s campus. In order to preserve and protect this important building, Bryn Mawr undertook a multi-year, phased rehabilitation program emphasizing the retention of historic character through the repair of building components and gentle surface treatments.
Beginning with a study of archival information, the process included the evaluation of all openings to establish original design intent. To verify repair approaches and the appropriateness of any new materials, substantial testing and the creation of mock-ups were required prior to the commencement of operations. Ultimately, the work performed included structural stabilization of the cloister masonry, re-roofing of the cloisters, stabilization and re-roofing of the entrance portico, window refurbishment, facade cleaning and maintenance, limestone repairs and re-roofing of the Great Hall.
Location: Bryn Mawr, PA